No products in the cart.
5 Tips for Finding Balance During the Midst of Back To School Chaos
In the midst of all the back to school madness, we can sometimes find our heads spinning, our schedules packed and not a moment left for ourselves. This got us thinking, if we know that the often overwhelming back to school season is coming, what can we do ahead of time to help us create a more balanced transition? Here’s what we came up with (with a little help from the experts):
- Let go of being perfect. Let’s just start with setting our expectations at a realistic level. When you are juggling work, family, kids, friends, etc. etc. some things may fall through the cracks. AND THAT’S OKAY! A recent Forbes article noted, a lot of overachievers develop perfectionist tendencies at a young age when demands on their time are limited to school, hobbies and maybe an after-school job. It’s easier to maintain that perfectionist habit as a kid. But as you grow up, life gets more complicated. Perfectionism becomes out of reach, and if that habit is left unchecked, it can become destructive. So manage expectations, and then let go of the outcomes, knowing that it is all okay no matter what happens.
- Build downtime into your schedule. WebMD recommends that we prioritize our down time just as much as our meetings and appointments. They rationalize that if an activity – even one that isn’t considered a necessity – is on the calendar, it’s more likely to be kept. So, go ahead, schedule in a nap for Saturday, or book a facial or massage, or take a long walk in nature. Filling your vessel is critical to maintaining your own sanity.
- Be open and honest about your needs. Do you know what you need to feel balanced in life? Is it nine hours of sleep a night? Is it time outdoors everyday? Entrepreneur magazine advises that the first thing people need to do to create balance is identify the things that truly make them feel balanced and fulfilled. Then be transparent about it. Make sure your friends, colleagues, significant other, etc. know that at 6:00 pm every Tuesday and Thursday you go to your favorite yoga class, and that helps you maintain life balance. Openly communicating your needs and schedule to others will keep everyone on the same page.
- Turn off distractions. People who maintain balance in their life are able to turn off their electronic devices to enjoy uninterrupted quality time doing what they love, reports Fast Company. Focusing on the task at hand, and avoiding multitasking, helps us to stay in the present moment and enjoy the experience of life.
- Reframe your mindset. Huffington Post noted that people use the phrase “I’m too busy” without truly thinking about what is being asked of them. They suggest we change the phrase “I’m too busy” to “that’s not important to me right now.” Once we do that, we’ll quickly realize what is important to us and it will become a lot harder for us to say no to the experiences, people and events that contribute to a harmonious life balance…because we know how important they really are!
How do you help maintain balance in your life? Tell us in the comments.